Easily assess a company’s ESG risk exposure and identify issues for engagement
Read forward-looking assessment of how the controversy is likely to evolve in a 12-month period
Better understand the impact and risk related to each incident through incident-level scoring and analysis
Speak directly to our analysts and sector specialists
Receive support from one of the most experienced client servicing teams in the industry
Global coverage of all major indexes and large private companies
CONTROVERSIES RESEARCH REPORT
View controversies, rated on a scale from one to five, and read our assessment of its outlook for a two-year period
See the geographic spread of the company’s controversies
Read how controversies developed over time
1. NEWS MONITORING
Daily monitoring of 60,000 news sources from around the world to identify those news items that could be significant from an ESG perspective.
2. IDENTIFICATION OF INCIDENTS AND EVENTS
Based on our news monitoring, incidents – such as lawsuits and spills – are identified and relevant information and references are collected. Individual incidents accumulate and escalate into events.
3. CONTROVERSY ANALYSIS
Events are classified into 10 topical areas and scored on a hurricane scale from one to five, depending on the reputational risk to the company and potential impact on stakeholders and the environment.
- Low impact on the environment and society
- Negligible risk to the company
- Moderate impact on the environment and society with minimal risk to the company
- Low frequency of incidents, company has strong management systems and/or actions taken to mitigate risks
- Significant impact on the environment and society with significant business risk
- Evidence of structural problems at company and/or company has inadequate management systems
- High impact on the environment and society with high business risk
- Structural/systemic problems, recurrence of incidents and company has inadequate management systems
- Severe impact on the environment and society with serious business risk
- Exceptional egregious behavior, high frequency of incidents and company has poor management of the controversy
The outlook is a forecast of how an rating will evolve over the next 12 months based on the various criteria, such as risk factors, management systems etc.
Access our research through our user-friendly investor interface with easy to use screening and reporting tools
Access our research and ratings through an internal or a third-party system of your choice Bloomberg, Factset and Markit