Listen on your favorite player:
- Nicholas Gandolfo, Director, Corporate Solutions
- Sabrina Tang, Sales Associate, Sustainable Finance Solutions
Despite continued pressure on global financial markets, our hosts Nick and Sabrina highlight some bright spots within sustainable finance. From the array of green bond transactions coming to market in recent months, to sovereigns exploring sustainable finance opportunities to fund biodiversity, marine conservation and social programs, the sustainable finance market continues to push against market headwinds.
Biodiversity Rising on Sustainable Finance and Corporate Agendas
With COP27 ending and the UN Conference on Biodiversity (COP15) coming up in December, the issue of biodiversity continues to resonate among sustainable finance market participants. Companies are starting to focus more on biodiversity issues and their impact, and the Taskforce on Nature-Related Financial Disclosures has also updated its beta framework. Sovereigns, such as Uruguay, are also joining the movement by funding efforts around biodiversity using sustainability-linked bonds.
Use of Proceed Instruments Increase as Sustainability-Linked Instruments Faces Scrutiny
Contracting global financial markets have put pressure on the bond market. However, Nick does note a slight uptick in the number and variety of labeled use of proceed bond issuances in recent months relative to sustainability-linked bond issuances. This could be due, in part, to the growing scrutiny of linked bond instruments. Should they be more nuanced? Do the benefits of the pricing dynamics outweigh the penalties for not meeting targets? These are all valid questions being raised about these financing instruments that have seen tremendous growth over the last few years. It remains to be seen whether these questions translate into new norms for the market.
|0:01:29||GSSS market pressures|
|0:02:40||Biodiversity and sovereign SLBs|
|0:03:51||Continuing scrutiny of sustainability-linked instruments|
|0:04:25||FCA consultation on sustainability disclosure requirements|
|0:05:15||Banks explore funding pools of SLLs|
|0:05:45||Singapore banks' commitments to Net Zero|
|0:06:32||New reports from Climate Bonds Initiative|
|0:07:55||SLB and SLL overview|
|0:17:56||Green bonds overview|
|0:20:47||Green loans overview|
|0:22:25||Social bonds and loans overview|
|0:23:46||Labeled products overview|
|0:24:50||Transition bonds overview|
|0:26:41||Regulatory and country updates|
Links to Select Resources
- Investment Magazine: Responsible Investment Hits Record in 2021
- Investment Week: S&P Global Ratings Downgrades GSSSB Forecast by 16%
- Environmental Finance: Sustainable Bonds Take Record Market Share
- Environmental Finance: NatWest: Biodiversity-Linked Sovereign SLBs Could Be 'Powerful'
- Environmental Finance: HSBC: COP15 Will See More Green Bonds Focus on Biodiversity
- Environmental Finance: SLB Step-ups Have Almost No Correlation With Credit Quality
- Environmental Finance: Sovereign Sustainability-Linked Debt Initiative Launched
- Financial Conduct Authority (FCA): Sustainability Disclosure Requirements and Investment Labels
- Finance Asia: Social Risks Can Be Credit Risks: Evaluating the 'S' in ESG
- Finextra: Greenwashing is a Systemic Problem at UK Banks
- Climate Bonds Initiative: New Social and Sustainability Bond Database: Enhanced Screening Capabilities for Full GSS+ Market
- Sustainalytics SPOs:
What’s Happening in Sustainable Finance: GSSS Market Rebounds, Sovereign Sustainable Debt, and Much More
Get caught up on developments in the global sustainable finance market. This month, we discuss market performance for the first part of the year, continuing scrutiny of SLBs, and the growing group of sovereigns exploring sustainable debt opportunities.
ESG In Conversation | How Can Investors Address Biodiversity Loss?
In this episode of ESG in Conversation, we’re exploring the question: how can investors address biodiversity loss? Learn about the urgency of addressing biodiversity loss and the role of good stewardship in effecting positive change.
What’s Happening in Sustainable Finance: A Flurry of Updates in Regulations, Taxonomies, Frameworks, and Much More
Discussing the flurry of updates in sustainable finance regulation and guidance such as progress on the EU GBS; updates to the various sustainable loan principles; and the release of fourth and final beta version of the TFND framework.
ESG In Conversation | How Are Sustainability Professionals Really Putting ESG into Practice?
In this episode of ESG in Conversation, we discuss the results of the Morningstar Sustainalytics Corporate ESG Survey and explore how the responsibilities of sustainability professionals are changing to address their companies' material ESG issues.